Photography by Nickayla Hodges, a Senior at Kelso High School
We’re making progress in all six of our bond priorities. Lots of construction will be happening this summer. CONSTRUCTION: 6 PRIORTIES Safety & Security Collins Architects hired for consultation Current plans for 2 new schools will set safety standards for...
At this time last year, Kelso citizens overwhelmingly voted to approve a construction bond and educational levy to improve the learning experience for our students. We are so thankful for the support and generosity of our community, and continue to work diligently to...
As we begin the design work for our three new schools, and all the work we’re doing to improve the learning environments for our children, we’ve created some guiding principles to follow.
- Provide security access control system
- Redesign main entrance and entry way
- Replace roof
- Paint school
- Replace windows
- Replace tile in shop classroom, shop corridor, and kitchen
- Replace original glue-on ceiling tile
- Replace gymnasium operable wall
- Replace operable wall on stage, and replace doors, curtain and lighting
- Replace original linoleum on 2nd floor
- Upgrade power service in shop building
- Replace siding on shop building
- Replace electrical service
- Provide new addressable fire alarm system
- Replace phone system
- Add 4-6 additional duplex outlets in each classroom
- Replace galvanized steel domestic water piping with copper tubing
- Replace boiler
- Replace library HVAC system
- Replace office HVAC system
- Refurbish PACE air handling unit
- Replace kitchen exhaust fan
- Replace pneumatic controls with DDC controls
- Repair library area structural issue
- Replace sidewalk along North Kelso Avenue
- Replace carpet
- Construct multi-purpose room/gym
Tell me more
Huntington Middle School will have major mechanical and HVAC system work, along with upgrades to safety, security, and communication systems. A new multi-purpose gym will be developed to accommodate limited physical education spaces. Approximately $9 million in State matching funds will be used to offset project costs.